Depending on the purpose of your US VISA FOR NORWEGIAN CITIZENS, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion.
Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in Norway permanently, you will have to apply for a different Norwegian Schengen Visa, accordingly.
You can apply for the Norwegian Schengen Visa since 2001 when Norway as an EFTA Member also became a member state of the Schengen Area.
See the list of countries whose citizens need a visa to enter Norway by clicking Do I need a visa to visit Norway?
Norway Entry Restrictions in Response to Coronavirus
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, Norway, as well as the other the EU and Schengen Area members imposed an EU-wide entry ban on third-country nationals in mid-March 2020.
Currently, only the following categories of persons from countries outside the EEA/Schengen area or the UK can also travel to Norway, but they have to self-quarantine for ten days:
- Those who have a work and residence permit in Norway
- Those who have family or a partner in Norway
- Students or workers with technical competence that is exempt from the residence permit requirement
- Employees in non-profit, religious and humanitarian organizations
- Children and stepchildren over the age of 21 to a person resident in Norway
- Parents and stepparents of children over the age of 21 living in Norway
- Grandparents and grandparents of a person resident in Norway
- Grandchildren and great-grandchildren of a person resident in Norway
- Children of established boyfriend/girlfriend (a relationship that has started at least nine months before, and both parties have met physically)
- Spouse, registered partner, cohabitant and children of Norwegian citizens residing abroad and travelling to Norway together with the US VISA FOR JAPANESE CITIZENS
- EEA citizens and their family members residing in third countries
General required documents for a Norway Visa Application:
- Firstly, download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Norway Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about photo requirements and specifications for a Norway Visa.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Travel Insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Norway and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Norway and itinerary
- Flight Reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Norway. Learn how to make flight itinerary for visa application!
- Proof of accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Norway. Learn how to get hotel reservation for visa application!
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Norway. A foreign national who seeks to enter the territory of Norway needs to attest to the Embassy or Consulate when applying for a Norwegian Visa owning of at least 500 NOK that are equivalent to 53.34€. However, this number is not officially fixed and typically the amount is decided on a case-by-case basis.
UK residents, please read: How to Apply for a Norway Visa in the UK!
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- No-objection certificate from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Proof of enrollment
- Leave approval letter from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Norwegian Visa application.
List of additional documents required for the most frequent purposes of the Norway Visa Application:
Norway Tourist/Visitor Visa:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Norway with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Norway Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Norwegian company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Norway, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodatioN
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
- Proof of Norwegian citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Norwegian nationality or naturalization order)
- Norwegian marriage certificate
- Norwegian family record book
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Norwegian embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Norway Visa for US Citizens and US Residents
Citizens of the United States with a valid U.S. Tourist passport (blue passport) can travel to Norway and other countries of the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days without having to apply or obtain a Schengen visa.
All non US citizens who do need a visa to enter the Schengen Area, must have a U.S. Visa or a Permanent Residence Card with three (3) months validity after returning from the Schengen area. If your US visa has expired, please have it renewed before applying.
You should apply for a visa via the Embassy of Norway in the US if:
- Norway is the only Schengen country you plan on visiting
- Norway is your main destination (the country you will be staying the longest in)
- Norway is the first Schengen country you are visiting
In case you plan on staying in Norway for more than 90 days you must apply for a residency permit, not a Norway Schengen visa.
Please, note that if you are not a resident in the United States you should apply at the Norwegian Embassy/Consulate in your country of residence.
Visa applications for USA residents are to be submitted at the Norway Visa Application Centres in New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Houston or San Francisco (USA). Additionally, applicants in Houston and San Francisco who require a visa to Iceland will also apply at the Norway Visa Application Centres. All applications will be assessed by The Royal Norwegian Embassy in the USA. The Visa Application Centres are operated by VFS Services (USA) Inc.
IMPORTANT: For all visa and immigration applications in the US, please contact: VFS Global at +1 347-329-2738.
The consulate do not handle visa and immigration application.
Can I extend my temporary visa in Norway?
Yes, you can extend your Norway Schengen visa but only in exceptional cases where new facts and special reasons arise after entry in Norway.
For more information, please read How to Extend a Schengen Visa while being in Norway.
Attention! Please consult the Embassy of Norway in your country for the updated Norway Visa requirements!
Related information about Norway Travel Visa:
- Norway Visa Requirements for Indian Citizens
- Norway Visa Application Cover Letter Samples and Templates
- How to find Cheap Flights to Norway and other European Countries